I started early, because sewing deadlines seem to sneak up on me.
Actually, the dark purple dress was started in November, intended to be worn to the girls’ cousin’s baptism. But I didn’t get it fully complete and didn’t have time to start the second. So it stayed next to my sewing desk for months. Purple is a great Easter color. I modified the Geranium pattern using the sleeveless version, but lengthening the bodice. I made the pleats first and then cut out the bodice. It wasn’t exactly planned as a drop waist, but after the hem was made based on how it fit the child, the waist was equidistant from neck to hem. It didn’t look right. I already knew I wanted to make a contrasting sash with the other purple fabric I picked for the second dress (coordinating, not matching), so I have it sitting above the stitch line between the bodice and the skirt. So it looks more like a drop waist.
Here is the second dress. I went with a straight Geranium pattern, no modifications. I used a pleated skirt to coordinate with the look of the first dress and made a coordinating sash with the contrasting fabric.
To make the sashes, I ironed on interfacing, so the bow would stay stiffer instead of drooping. Then sewed one end closed, and up the side, with right sides facing and turned it back right side out by poking the closed end inside the tube. I tried first with a tube turner but it just bunched up and made ironing all the wrinkles out a mess! I hand sewed the open end closed. The measurements I used were based on measuring the waist of the bodice and then making a bow with my tape measure and adding those two numbers together. I also used the tape measure to eyeball how wide I wanted it to turn out, then added 1/2 inch for the 1/4 seam allowance.
Final hand sewing was minimal–buttons and making thread belt loops using this video as instruction.
I’ll include some pictures with them in the dresses later. The dark purple one with the front pleats was tricky to iron, so I don’t want to mess them up before Easter!